Sunday, September 30, 2012

are we in kansas anymore ?

 
 
 
 
  
 After we arrived home last night mom announced that we were going to the fast and testament service in Troy idaho instead of moscow. My heart sank. While i was at the discipleship home i saw myself giving my testimony and i have been trying to get my thoughts together about the best and shortest way to explain my journey. The Moscow ward is home and i felt what a perfect time to introduce myself. I refuse to hide behind the shame of being an addict. This morning we were up early  and we drove out to the boondocks where i use to live-briefly. The parking lot was full of people and cars and when we walked inside all i saw was faces looking back at us as we tried to find a seat. The people were very nice and cordial. It had been ten years since my mom moved from troy.  All at once people began to jump out of their seats and rush to hug her. The sacrament was passed and every head was bowed in prayer when I felt a  great calm overtake me. I found myself walking up to the pulpit as if in a dream. The first words out of my mouth ..."I love the smell of faith in the morning." I quickly and calmly introduced myself, explaining it had been 30 years since i had a testimony to bear. You could hear a pin drop. Then I began to speak from my heart. i spoke the truth and i kept it PG13 hehe. My final words which I  vaguely remember were. . if God can save someone like me I know he can save anyone. As I slowly walked back to my seat arms reached out to touch me as i passed by.  Every person that spoke after me brought my testimony up. I realized that me speaking of addiction was a reality that affects someone in every community. I wasn't concerned about the shame or embarassing my mother in the eyes of the church. I was up there to edify the Lord. After church I was hugged by every member. Every brother shook my hand. Tears fell from the eyes of mothers who testified to me that they had children that were lost in addiction and alcoholism and that because of my testimony they had hope.  i am humbled how much my life and struggles have empowered me with Jesus Christ as my Saviour. Here is the kicker-which I did not realize until me and mom were headed back to town. The last time I was in the Troy church up close to the alter was when my dad lay in his coffin .

No comments: